10 Reasons Men Should Receive Massage
In honor of Father’s Day lets review why massage is good for every body.
Everyone needs massage and bodywork. However, it is often seen as a luxury or a special treat. Here’s 10 Reasons why every Body should receive massage.
- No spa required. Massage therapy does not have to be sought out at a spa or salon. Medical and sports therapists practice in medical suites, gyms, health clubs, and corporate offices. Therapists will also arrange for home visits to accommodate all individuals.
- Massage helps pain associated with sports or exercise. Overuse injuries are very common in athletes; this can present as knee or elbow pain, shoulder restriction, shin splints, plantar fasciitis, low back pain, and neck tension (just to name a few). Very often the issue is tension or restriction in muscle placing strain on the joints of the body. Massage focuses on soft tissue relaxation to restore length and full range of motion to the muscles.
- Massage can boost neurotransmitters serotonin, and dopamine. While, some men and women may have difficulty expressing work stresses, anxiety, or depression massage can have a therapeutic affect. Theses transmitters induce a sense of well being and stimulate the pleasure centers of the brain.
- 20% of men report experiencing or suffering from insomnia. The production of serotonin the “feel good hormone” can help sufferers fall asleep and get more restful sleep.
- Massage helps alleviate the symptoms of stress by reducing cortisol. Elevated cortisol levels can constrict blood vessels increasing blood pressure, hypertension, and body tension. Our responses to work or personal stress engages the sympathetic nervous system and elevates adrenaline and cortisol. Massage and relaxation techniques help to shift us back into the parasympathetic nervous system for rest and repair.
- Low back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide, according to the Global Burden of Disease 2010! Also, one of the most common reasons for missed work. Massage has been demonstrated to greatly aid and sometimes alleviate back pain by relaxing tight musculature.
- Massage increases flexibility. In general men are typically less flexible than women; many factors influence this including hormonal differences, joint laxity in development, and training patterns. Inflexibility can make individuals more prone to injury and muscle pain.
- Over 8% of all men have coronary heart disease, according to the CDC. Massage relaxes the body, boosts circulation and lowers levels of cortisol, the stress hormone. All these things help reduce stress on the heart and improve cardiovascular health.
- Massage helps treat muscles that have been overused at work. Whether it be a physically demanding job, or even a desk job with static positions or repetitive motion (such as typing or driving), most arelikely going to experience muscle fatigue. As muscles tighten people lose flexibility, possibly start to develop postural issues, and become more likely to injure themselves.
- Massage can increase the availability of growth hormones! As sleep quality improves with serotonin production the body is able to produce more human growth hormone. This promotes cell division and is involved in tissue repair, regeneration, and healing. Studies show growth hormones decrease two or three fold when you hit 30. Set the goal for a monthly massage to optimize production in your 8 hours.
Hard Balance Bodyworks is open for appointments Tuesday thru Sunday. Gift Certificates may be purchased through our online store or through the MindBody App.